Thursday, May 26, 2011

Alice and Josh

We've been quite strictly Failsafe for years, with the odd lapse. The past few weeks Mike and I have both had uni, plus I've been unwell with my lupus. So... They've been Failsafe, but with very little in the way of fresh fruit and veg. I started to notice a few days ago that Alice was looking very pale, and Josh's IBS is back in full swing. We've got a full fridge of FS veg and fruit for Mike and I, plus pears for the kiddos. Time to get back to basics with the vegetables!

Wednesday
Breakfast - oats
MT - I can't remember
lunch - lebanese bread and salad (cabbage, brussels sprouts, green beans, celery, some grated apple {not FS, but it was about 1/8 apple each...}) with a little canola oil and salt followed by salad cups (a cabbage leaf filled with chopped cabbage, brussels sprouts, green beans and celery)
AT - scotch finger biscuit
Dinner - weetbix

Not a brilliant day, obviously, although very heavy on the veges. The main issue there is that Joshie had lebanese bread, two biscuits and weetbix, all wheat flour which I know aggravates his IBS. Today will be a better day!

Thursday (so far)
Breakfast - Alice had porridge, Josh had oats and puffed rice.
MT/Lunch 1 - I had to have some x-rays taken this morning, so we were a bit late getting to MT which has kind of merged with lunch today. FRITTATA! I fried off some finely chopped brussels sprouts in canola oil, which gives them a lovely flavour, but they can't get browned. Firstly, that increases amines, secondly, the taste gets bitter. Removed the brussels sprouts from the pan, put in potato slices which I'd steamed for 2 minutes in the microwave. Added back the brussels sprouts and a few chopped green beans. Whisked 3 eggs with some oat milk and poured that over the top. Let it cook on a lowish heat until only the top was runny, then whacked it under the grill for maybe four minutes, until it was just brown. Added a sprinkle of salt. Alice asked for seconds and thirds (common enough for her, denied thirds and got her to have a drink instead), and Josh ate all his helping, although didn't have seconds. So, in Josh's helping he had 1/4 large potato, 1/2 brussels sprout, probably about 1 green bean and not quite one egg. Alice had two serves, so double all values! Plus I gave them both some celery sticks to munch on, all of which disappeared. Happy with that.

Afternoon tea/lunch 2 will be at about 2.30pm, right before we leave for the library and Alice's piano lessons. Maybe fried rice? Needs to be substantial as Alice can't focus without a good meal, and dinner will be a little late because we go for coffee with Mum after the lesson. I need to take Josh's milk in a Tuppercup and ask them to froth that for his babycino, as SoyMilky certainly isn't FS, and I'm going to make a big effort to be dairy and wheat free until his stomach has settled down again.

So, for dinner I don't know. Actually, the latest newsletter at Fedup had a recipe for a swede and potato mash, so may make that. I don't know what we'll have it with, maybe I could make a lentil bolognaisy thing and use the mash as a topping...

Much to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment